Monday, December 12, 2011

Tanda of the Week 50 / 2011 - Roberto Firpo

Listen to the tanda - MP3

1. Roberto Firpo - "Mentias" 1927
2. Roberto Firpo - "Sangre Maleva" 1929
3. Roberto Firpo - "Pablo"1927
4. Roberto Firpo - "Cotorrita de la Suerte" 1927

Here's another guest dj tanda from Bärbel Rücker from Denmark. She takes us back to the instrumental tangos of the 1920's with Roberto Firpo.

"Either as leader, interpreter or composer, Roberto Firpo (1884-1969) is one of the first evolutionists tango had. On those early days of the típicas, he definitively established the piano in the tango orchestra. 

As player, he possessed a quite polished style –as can be verified with the exquisite solos he recorded- and he began the use of the foot pedal, which offers a better resonance. As composer, he introduced into tango the romantic air, which until then was alien to that genre created for the dancers'feet."

- by Roberto Selles and Néstor Pinsón, Todo Tango

DJ Bärbel Rücker | Tanzbar - http://tanzbar.dk/djing/
Firpo, Roberto - TOTW - Todo Tango - tango.info - iTunes Store

4 kommenttia:

  1. Wonderful to hear some of Firpo's orchestra on here, and from his best years. Bärbel, you have chosen a lovely soft tanda. This orchestra is massively underplayed. I hope this tanda stimulates some more appreciation for Firpo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that I really appreciate the fact that DJs typically don't play non-Golden Age music like this at milongas. There's so much Golden Age music that's more enjoyed by dancers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. an interesting combination of such works I was looking for at this time in my life
    _________
    Dance Way

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments on my Firpo tanda. I myself love dancing to one or two of this kind of tandas during a milonga, but agree that there should be more variety.

    Meanwhile I have moved and I am now based in the UK. I changed my website too and can now be found under www.movingexperience.eu.

    Looking forward to DJ'ing for you soon again.

    ReplyDelete